Veteran punk band Chelsea have announced they’re making their final album – and they’re asking fans to help them do it.
Formed in London in 1976, Chelsea were one of the first wave of punk bands, but, unlike the Sex Pistols and The Clash, never made it big.
Three of the four original members went on to form Generation X, but vocalist Gene October stayed put, and has been recording and touring with various line-ups ever since.
The band never enjoyed a big hit, but their 1977 single Right To Work is regarded as a punk classic.
They have been as busy as ever in recent years: in 2016 they toured the UK and Europe for the band’s 40th anniversary, and released a 3CD anthology including their entire back catalogue.
2017 saw the release of their most recent album, Mission Impossible, which sold out in three days and was hailed as the best of their career.
Now the current line-up – October, guitarist Nic Austin, bassist Mat Sargent, and drummer Steve Grainger – have launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the recording andf release of their 12th and final album.
They’re offering some exclusive rewards including:
* The original prototype album cover artwork, drawn by the band in the back of the tour bus.
* Two fully signed Epiphone guitars used on the recording of the new album demos.
* The opportunity to come to the studio and record backing vocals, with your name in the list of credits.
* Spend a day in Nic’s studio writing and recording a song/demo with Nic & Mat. You get to take a copy home with you after spending the night in a local hotel.
* The top reward is for the band to play a full acoustic gig in your front room. Chelsea have never played an acoustic set so this is something quite special.
Everyone who helps fund the album’s recording will be entered into a draw to win signed band stage shirts.
To get involved, visit Chelsea’s Kickstarter campaign here.
Catch CHELSEA on the following live dates:
6 March – WOKING – Undercover @ Fiery Bird
28 March – SCARBOROUGH – Scarborough Punk Festival @ Scarborough Spa
6-9t August – BLACKPOOL – Rebellion @ Winter Gardens